TrueDustlynn

Hey y'all! Welcome to my blog spot, hope you all enjoy reading my entries and please leave me a comment.

Subscribe to True Dustlynn



Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Life Questions????


While at lunch the other day, I had a chance to talk to a wonderful woman that I work with. We got to talking about her and her husband. She told me that he was in a nursing home and was suffering from Alzheimers Disease. She was telling me how she went to feed him everyday and how he didnt even know her or that she was there. As she talked about him and their lives together before this disease I could see the pain in her eyes and hear the quiver in her voice. I think that it did her good to have someone to talk to and I was more that happy to listen to her stories.
She was telling me about going to feed him and how she wanted to make sure that she was there on Christmas to be with him and make sure he knew she loved him. And she broke down a little when she told me that he didnt even recognize her anymore. He didnt speak words that anyone could understand anymore and that all he did was stare into space for most of the time. She was telling me of the guilt she felt for not being able to be with him all the time. But that she felt for her health she had to try to keep living as best as she could. She just recently got this job and it was just to help take her mind off of being sad all the time and of being terribly lonely. My heart went out to her and I made sure that she knew I would do anything I could for her and would always be there if she needed to talk or cry or scream.
As I was sitting in my living room later on that evening, I got to thinking how hard it would be for someone you have spent your whole life with to dwindle away in front of your eyes. I can not imagine the pain and loneliness that would be. But I admire this lady for the love she continues to show her husband by visiting him daily and by being there even when he doesnt know her. She could just have put him in a home and left and decided he didnt know or need her anymore but she did not. She continues to try to go on with her life as best as she can and still is there for her love who doesnt see her anymore. Something I definitely want to live up to in my life.
I just wonder if I am with someone who would do the same for me. IF I was to have something happen to me like this would I be alone? Would my husband come and see me even when I couldnt see him? Would he speak of me the way she does her husband with such love and sadness in her eyes.......

6 comments:

bluedreamer27 said...

how inspiring that woman was
your article,i could say your narrative compositionwas so great
honestly it makes me cry (take note im a man)
she was such a wonderful woman i ever seen
tanks god i am not with your conversation
because i am sure i cant take it
tell her not to lose her faith and hope everything has its reasons
and God maybe have a plan for her
just think that it is just a fence to jump on with
be strong God is with her always
more power to your blog
just keep me updated if you post something new
i try to join your community but ive already join 15(and its the limit 15 community per day)
i will go bvack here tomorrow
youcan add me as your contact or join my community (its not a bait) so that i can save one for you tomorrow
seeyah

Old School Fridays said...

Someone would be there for you. My mom cancer spread to her brain and she didn't remember my name in the end, she kept calling me 'mama'.

The last message she was able to get out that was understandable was I love ya, love ya, love ya, love ya, love ya love ya - like a broken record, just over and over, her brain was stuck on the message.

She wasn't married, but she had me and plenty of friends. You will always have somebody. Although she couldn't remember my name at times, or talk, or write, she had a way of letting me know that she knew me in her heart, but couldn't communicate it.

As long as you love others, the love will always be returned.

dustlynn said...

Thanks for the comments bluedreamer and mrsg, I just keep on with the love givin and leave the rest to the man upstairs.

Aslan said...

It is so unberably difficult to watch a loved one suffer, and feel so useless because all you do is love them.

Jay a.k.a. 'Dat' said...

yo, just reading this made me sad... you all got me thinking the same, would anyone be there for me even if i didn't know who they were or whatever.

but damn, i out of words... this blog really got me thinking... your co-worker is truly dedicated and that just shows how much love one can give!

Jay
DatMoney.com
DatCurious.com

Anonymous said...

I would never want to imagine witnessing my life-long partner lose a battle to such a disease. I can only hope and pray that my future wife and I can grow old together and not lose our minds (literally) in the process.

Interesting enough, I did a blog on Alzheimer's and research has shown that people that think more are less likely to develop the disease. Feel free to view my post titled: Alzheimers: To Think Or Not To Think.

MARCUS LANGFORD

More about me

My photo
Im 27 years old and live in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Im a full time mommy with two beautiful little girls.